UPPSC PCS Examination Pattern 2023, UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2023, UPPSC Combined State/Upper Subordinate Services (PCS) Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2023.
UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2023: Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) has released the notification of the Combined State / Upper Subordinate Services (PCS) Examination, 2023 for the recruitment of Various Posts. The total number of vacancies is 173. Registration has been started and will be closed on 03 April 2023. Eligible candidates can apply online.
For the preparation for the examination, the syllabus is very important. In this article, we will provide you the detail information about the UPPSC PCS Syllabus and Exam Pattern which will be beneficial for you in preparation for the examination. Through this definitely, you will be able to crack the examination and select for the position. Read the complete article. Best of Luck.
UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2023-Summary
|Article Name||UPPSC PCS Syllabus 2023|
|Recruitment Name||Combined State / Upper Subordinate Services (PCS) Examination, 2023|
|Recruitment Board Name||Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC)|
|Post Name||Various Posts|
|Job Location||Uttar Pradesh (UP)|
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
|Medium of Exam||Both English and Hindi|
|Negative Marking||Yes, In Pre Exam (One-third of the marks assigned to that question)|
|Join Telegram Group||Click to Join|
UPPSC PCS Selection Process 2023
- Preliminary Examination (Objective Type & Multiple Choice)
- Mains Examination (Conventional Type i.e. Written)
- Viva-Voce (Personality Test)
UPPSC PCS Examination Pattern 2023
The UPPSC PCS Examination Pattern 2023 is given below :
1. UPPSC Preliminary Examination Pattern 2023
The Preliminary examination for the Combined State / Upper Subordinate Services Examination will consist of two compulsory papers of which answer sheet be on OMR sheets.
The papers shall be 200 marks each and of two hours duration. Both the papers shall be objective Type & multiple choice in which there shall be 150-100 questions Respectively.
|Paper||Total Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Paper-I General Studies-I||150||200||2 Hours|
|Paper-II General Studies-II (Qualifying Paper, Min. 33% Marks Required)||100||200||2 Hours|
Paper-I General Studies-I Syllabus 2023
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- India and World geography – Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the
- Indian Polity and governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public
Policy, Rights Issues etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change- that do not
require subject specialization.
- General Science
Paper-II General Studies-II Syllabus 2023
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision making and problem solving.
- General mental ability
- Elementary Mathematics upto Class X Level :
- General English upto Class X Level :
- Active Voice and Passive Voice
- Parts of Speech
- Transformation of Sentences
- Direct and Indirect Speech
- Punctuation and Spellings
- Words Meanings
- Vocabulary & Usage
- Idioms and Phrases
- Fill in the Blanks
- General Hindi upto Class X Level :
- हिंदी वर्णमाला, विराम चिन्ह
- शब्द रचना, वाक्य रचना, अर्थ
- संधि, समास
- अनेकार्थी शब्द
- विलोम शब्द
- प्रयायवाची शब्द
- मुहावरे एवं लोकोक्तियां
- तत्सम एवं तदभव, देशज, विदेशी (शब्द भंडार)
- हिंदी भाषा के प्रयोग में होने वाली अशुद्धियाँ
- उत्तर प्रदेश की मुख्य बोलियाँ
2. UPPSC Mains Examination Pattern 2023
The UPPSC PCS Mains Examination Pattern 2023 is given below :
|Paper Name||Total Marks||Time Duration|
|General Hindi||150||3 Hours|
|General Studies – I||200||3 Hours|
|General Studies – II||200||3 Hours|
|General Studies – III||200||3 Hours|
|General Studies – IV||200||3 Hours|
|General Studies – V||200||3 Hours|
|General Studies – VI||200||3 Hours|
UPPSC General Hindi Syllabus 2023
- दिए हुए गद्य खण्ड का अवबोध एवं प्रश्नोत्तर
- सरकारी एवं अर्धसरकारी पत्र लेखन, तार लेखन, कार्यालय आदेश, अधिसूचना, परिपत्र
- शब्द ज्ञान एवं प्रयोग
- उपसर्ग एवं प्रत्यय प्रयोग
- विलोम शब्द वाक्यांश के लिए एकशब्द
- वर्तनी एवं वाक्य शुद्धि
- लोकोक्ति एवं मुहावरे
UPPSC Eassy Syllabus 2023
There will be three sections in the question paper of Essay. Candidates will have to select one topic from each section and they are required to write essay in 700 words on each topic. In the three sections, topics of essay will be based on the following sphere :
Section A : (1) Literature and Culture. (2) Social sphere. (3) Political sphere.
Section B: (1) Science, Environment and Technology. (2) Economic Sphere. (3) Agriculture, Industry and Trade.
Section C: (1) National and International Events. (2) Natural Calamities, Land Slide, Earthquake, Deluge, Drought, etc. (3) National Development Programmes and Projects.
UPPSC General Studies – I Syllabus 2023
- History of Indian Culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history (from A.D.1757 to A.D. 1947) : Significant events, personalities and issues, etc.
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country (till 1965A.D.).
- History of the world will include events from 18 century to middle of the 20 century such as French revolution of 1789, industrial revolution, World Wars, redraw of national boundaries, Socialism, Nazism, Fascism etc-their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society and culture.
- Role of Women in society and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Meaning of liberalization, privatization and globalization and their effects on economy, polity and social structure.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Distribution of major natural resources of World – Water, Soils, Forests in reference to South and South-East Asia with special reference to India. Factors responsible for the location of industries (with special reference to India).
- Salient features of Physical Geography – Earthquake, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, Cyclone, Ocean Currents, winds and glaciers.
- Oceanic resources of India and their potential.
- Human migration-refugee problem of the World with focus on India.
- Frontiers and boundaries with reference to Indian sub-continent.
- Population and Settlements – Types and Patterns, Urbanization, Smart Cities and Smart Villages.
UPPSC General Studies – II Syllabus 2023
- Indian Constitution – historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure, Role of Supreme Court in evolution of basic provisions of Constitution.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States : issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Role of Finance Commission in Center-State financial relations.
- Separation of powers, dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions. Emergence and use of alternative dispute redressal mechanisms.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other major democratic countries.
- Parliament and State legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers and privileges and concerned issues.
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary : Ministries and Departments of the Government, Pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity. Public Interest Litigation (PIL).
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, Powers, functions and their responsibilities.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies including NITI Aayog, their features and functioning.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design, implementation and Information Communication Technology (ICT).
- Development processes – the role of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Self Help Groups (SHGs), various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes, mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to the development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, and Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger, and their implication on the body politic.
- Important aspects of governance. Transparency and accountability, e-governance applications, models, successes, limitations and potential, citizens, charters and institutional measures.
- Role of Civil Services in a democracy in the context of emerging trends.
- India and its relationship with neighbouring Countries.
- Bilateral, Regional and Global groupings and agreements involving India and/ or affecting India’s interest.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests- Indian diaspora.
- Important International Institutions, Agencies their structure, mandate and functioning.
- Current affairs and events of Regional, National and International importance.
UPPSC General Studies – III Syllabus 2023
- Economic planning in India, objectives and achievements. Role of NITI Aayog, Pursuit of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
- Issues of Poverty, Unemployment, Social justice and inclusive growth.
- Components of Government Budgets and Financial System.
- Major Crops, Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems, storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce, and e-technology in the aid of farmers.
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices, Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, Limitations, revamping, issues of buffer stocks and food security, and Technology missions in agriculture.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Land reforms in India since independence.
- Effects of liberalization and globalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
- Science and Technology-developments and applications in everyday life and in National Security, India’s Science and Technology Policy.
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology, indigenization of technology. Developments of New technologies, transfer of technology, dual and critical use technologies.
- Awareness in the fields of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Space Technology, Computers, Energy resources, nano-technology, microbiology, and biotechnology. Issues relating to intellectual property rights (IPR) and digital rights.
- Environmental security and Ecosystems, Conservation of Wildlife, Biodiversity, Environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
- Disaster as a Non-traditional security and safety challenge, disaster mitigation and management.
- Challenges of International Security: Issues of Nuclear proliferation, Causes and spread of extremism, Communication networks, role of media and social networking, Basics of cyber security, money laundering and human trafficking.
- India’s internal security challenges: Terrorism, corruption, insurgency and organized crimes.
- Role, kind and mandate of security forces, Higher defence organizations in India
- Issues in Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry and Animal Husbandry.
UPPSC General Studies – IV Syllabus 2023
- Ethics and Human Interface : Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human action, dimensions of ethics, ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values-lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators, role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude : Content, structure, function, its influence and relation with thought and behavior, moral and political attitudes, social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and nonpartisanship, objectivity, dedication to public services, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections.
- Emotional Intelligence – concept and dimensions, its utility and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and the world.
- Public/Civil Service values and ethics in Public Administration: status and problems, ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions, laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance, accountability and ethical governance, strengthening of moral values in governance, ethical issues in international relations and funding, corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance : the concept of public service, the philosophical basis of governance and probity, information sharing and transparency in government. Right to Information, codes of ethics, codes of conduct, citizen’s charter, work culture, quality of service delivery, utilization of public funds, and challenges of corruption.
- Case studies on the above issues.
UPPSC General Studies – V Syllabus 2023
- History, Civilization, Culture and Ancient Cities of UP.
- Architecture, their significance and maintainability, museum, archive and archaeology of UP.
- Contributions of UPin Pre and post 1857 freedom struggles of India.
- Eminent freedom fighters and personalities of UP.
- Rural, Urban and Tribal issues : social structure, festivals, fairs, music, folk dances, literature and languages/dialects, and social customs of UP.
- Political System of UP : Governance, Governor, Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, State Assembly and State Council, Center-State Relation.
- Public Service, Public Service Commission, Auditing, Advocate General, High Court and its jurisdiction in UP.
- Special State Selection Criteria, Official Language, Consolidated Fund and Contingency fund, Political Parties and State Election Commission of UP.
- Local Self Government : Urban and Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Right related issues in U P.
- Good Governance, Eradication of Corruption, Lokayukta, Citizen Charters, EGovernance, Right to Information, Redressal Policy.
- Land Reforms and its impact in UP.
- Issues Related to Security in UP.
- Linkage between development and spread of extremism.
- Role of External, State and Interstate actors in creating challenges to internal security through communication networks, media and social networking sites.
- Basic rules of cyber security, money- laundering and its prevention.
- Various security forces and agencies and their mandate.
- Security challenges and their management in border areas, linkage of organized crimes with terrorism.
- Law and Order and Civil Defense in UP.
- Medical and Health issues in UP
- State Education System of UP.
- Contribution of U Pin development of India.
- Current Affairs of UP.
- Implementation of Jal Shakti Mission and other central welfare schemes in UP.
- NGOs in UP : Issues, Contribution and Impact.
- Tourism in U P : Issues and prospects.
- Emphasis on Innovation in various fields in UP : Issues and its impact on employment and socio-economic development of the society
UPPSC General Studies – VI Syllabus 2023
- Overview of the Economy of UP : Main features of the economy and State Budgets, Infrastructure and importance of Physical Resources.
- Trade, Commerce and industries of UP.
- UP Government Schemes, Projects and Planned Development for welfare of People, Human Resources and Skill Development.
- Investment in UP : Issues and Impact
- Public Finance and Fiscal Policy, Tax and Economic Reforms, One District One Product Policy of UPGovernment.
- Planning and management of renewable and non-renewable energy resources of UP.
- Demography, Population and Censuses of UP.
- Commercialization of agriculture and production of agricultural crops in UP.
- UP New Forest Policy.
- Agro and Social Forestry in U.P
- Agricultural Diversity, Problems of agriculture and their solutions in UP.
- Developmental Indices of U Pin various fields.
- Geography of UP : Geographical Location, Relief and Structure, Climate, Irrigation,
- Minerals, Drainage System and Vegetation.
- National Parks and Wild Life Sanctuaries in UP.
- Transport Network in UP.
- Power Resources, Infrastructure and Industrial Development of UP.
- Pollution and Environmental Issues in U P, Pollution Control Board and its functions.
- Natural Resources of UP – Soil, Water, Air, Forests, Grasslands, Wetlands.
- Climate Change and Weather Forecasting issues in UP.
- Habitat and Ecosystem, structure and function, adjustment; Flora and Fauna with reference to UP.
- Science and Technology : Its issues, advancements and efforts in U P.
- Aquaculture, Viticulture, Sericulture, Floriculture, Horticulture, Arboric culture in up and its impact on the development of UP.
- Evolvement of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for the development of UP.
3. UPPSC Viva-Voce (Personality Test) Pattern 2023
|Viva-Voce Topic||Total Marks|
|The test will relate to the matter of general interest keeping the matter of academic interest in view and for general awareness, intelligence, character, expression of power/personality and general suitability for the service.||100|
Some Important Helpful Links
|For UPPSC PCS Vacancy 2023||Click Here|
|Official Website||Click Here|
|Join Telegram For Updates||Click Here|
We hope the information on UPPSC PCS Examination Pattern and Syllabus 2023 shared by us will help you prepare for the entrance examination. If you like this information then please share it with others. Best of Luck for the Examination.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the examination mode for the UPPSC PCS Exam 2023?
Ans: The mode of the examination will be offline through OMR Sheet.
Q: Will there be any negative markings in the UPPSC PCS Exam 2023?
Ans: Yes, there will be a negative marking in the Preliminary Examination (Paper-I) of one-third of the marks.
Q: How many states are there in UPPSC PCS Exam 2023?
Ans: There are 3 stages in the UPPSC PCS Examination i.e. Preliminary Examination, Mains Examination and Interview or Viva-Voca.